Your roof is perhaps the most important part of your home. It protects and covers your family and possessions while keeping dangerous elements of wind and rain from entering your home. Shingle roofs are very common in South Florida, but they come with their own risks. Shingles roofs in Hollywood, Fl can fall into disrepair from hurricanes, rain or simple aging. A damaged roof can bring harm to your home by allowing water and pests to enter your house. The signs that you may need roof repair in Hollywood, Fl aren’t always apparent, but it’s important to keep an eye out for these indicators:
1) Granules in the gutters. If you have shingle roofs, there are a lot of elements which can cause deterioration of the shingles. When you’re cleaning your gutters, if you see granules which are the same color as your shutters there may be a problem. Roofs tend to lose more granules as they age.
2) Weak valleys. The valleys of your roof are one of its most important aspects. They’re dips in your roof which encourage rain to flow easily into your gutters, keeping the interior of your home dry. If the shingles within the valleys of your roof are missing or showing signs of damage, your home can be incredibly susceptible to leaks.
3) Curling Shingles. The excessive heat and sun of South Florida can increase the stresses on your shingles roof. The shingles can show signs of these damages, they may curl up at the corners. This curling is a sign of an aging roofing system and excessive heat. The curled shape can make it easier for the shingles to be lifted up and blown away by high winds.
4) Attic leaks. This common sign is often missed in Hollywood, where people don’t spend very much time in their attics. Regular inspection of the structural elements of your attic can wind up saving time and money in the long run. A leak in the attic is almost a surefire way to diagnose a leak in the roof.
5) Roof age. Like everything else, roofs age. Regardless of how well constructed your roof may be, it’s still subject to damages from aging. The average shingle roof is estimated to last 20-25 years. That estimate is for shingle roofs which are entirely new. If your shingles roof in Hollywood, Fl has been placed over an existing structure, it may age faster.
There are signs which can serve as a guideline for your shingle roof’s health, spotting these clues may help you in repairing your roof as quickly as possible and mitigating damage and costs. Still, there are plenty of other roof problems which can arise, and there are other signs of a damaged roof that aren’t as apparent. At J&K Roofing, Inc., we work to keep your roof intact and beautiful. Give us a call today at (954) 961-9879 to keep your roof at its best!